Job Title: Planning & Zoning Administrator
Responses: Due by August 3, 2022
Department: County Board
Reports To: Director of Planning, Zoning & Environmental
Principal Purpose of Job:
Position will work directly with the Department Director to administer program goals, objectives, and implementation measures for the County. It will also be responsible for the administration and enforcement of zoning, subdivision, floodplain, building inspections, code enforcement and storm water programs. This position will also assist the Environmental Management Department as needed.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Plan, direct, coordinate, building inspection such as plumbing, electrical, and building inspectors and recordkeeping, per the Director.
- Performs building and nuisance inspections, as needed.
- Works with and helps coordinate efforts with related departments, the State’s Attorney, and other staff or agencies, as needed.
- Responds to complaints of potential code violations which may relate to buildings, nuisances, housing conditions, construction, land use, zoning, animals, noise, dumping, clearing, grading, polluting, and other code related matters, as needed.
- Meets with owners, tenants, contractors, developers, businesses, etc. to review and explain code requirements and violations or potential violations; secures code compliance.
- Assists Macon County Emergency Management Agency (EMA) on damage assessment when a disaster strikes Macon County.
- Maintains adequate records for the Departments, including, accounts payable, accounts receivable, tracking and verification of payments and building permits and provides scanned documents for website.
- Attends, records, and transcribes minutes for the Zoning Board of Appeals and the Regional Planning Commission.
- Covers front desk, answers multiple phone lines, and greets customers, as needed.
- Able to answer question regarding Environmental issues and assist the public, as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Any combination equivalent to education and/or experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities is to possess a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major work in planning, community development, urban design or a related field, and five years of progressively responsible professional planning experience including two years of administrative and supervisory experience.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Prepare and interpret ordinances and formulate land use policies.
- Creatively and expediently solve problems as needed in planning and building.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with County officials and employees, the general public, and representatives of other agencies.
- Properly interpret and make decisions in accordance with laws, regulations, and policies.
- Select, supervise, train, and evaluate assigned staff.
Other responsibilities include the supervision of other members of the Planning and Zoning Department.
How to Apply
Responses due by August 3, 2022. Responses can be sent via email to email@example.com or dropped off at the front counter in the County Board office located on the 5th floor of the County Office building 141 S. Main St. Suite 501 Decatur, IL 62523.